I recently did a huge closet purge a few weeks ago. You know its time to clear out your closet when the bar falls to the floor for the 3rd time this year. As a result my closet space is back organized! I know I promised you guys a closet tour on my
, so here it is!
My inspiration for this closet was this image I pinned on my
a few years ago.
Moving into a studio loft with very minimal space forced me to turn my utility closet into a functional space for my clothing. I basically only had this one wall to work with...so I made it work!
I use the top shelf to hold my purse collection. I have just enough space for the ones I have so, before a new one can come in, an old one must go out! Key to small space living.
I love these velvet hangers for my clothes! I previously used wooden hangers and although they looked very nice, they were bulky and took up way too much space. The velvet hangers are thin and slip free, plus they come in the cutest colors!
I use the Ikea Kallax system to store some of my shoes underneath. There's space for at least four pairs of shoes in each cubbie, but I try to keep it at two to limit the shoe hoarding :)
Im pretty satisfied with this wall of my closet and can you believe that its holding all of my clothes for each season?! Yes, it surprises me too!
Now, I cant leave you guys without a few closet purging tips:
(you will need a few friends to help you through this process)
- Remove everything out of your closet (Yes, this seems like a headache, but just leave on the hangers... it's not so bad)
- Create specific areas for things you will KEEP, DONATE, and SELL.
- Go through every item one by one, you will find that starting the sell and donate piles first help get the ball rolling. Your friends will be helpful in this process, they will help you "let it go" :)
- For the sell pile: fairly new items/things with tags that have not been worn in months/years.
- For the donate pile: outdated, too small/big items you cant see yourself wearing again.
- Take sell items to a consignment shop for quick cash! I utilized a store in my area called Buffalo Exchange.
I had an awesome closet purge specialist who helped me with this process! If you're in the Atlanta area and would like her info email me
Need inspiration for your closet? Check out my pinterest page for more...